Monday, March 18, 2013

Food British People Eat

British people eat some weird things. Maybe they are normal if you grew up in the UK, but they sure are strange to me (feel free to argue if you disagree - but I will most likely just think you eat weird things too).

Due to the popularity of my "take pictures of actual civilians on the subway" post (further showing that you all are just as creepy as I am), I decided to sacrifice my pride once again and take pictures in the local M&S Grocery store. People did look at me strangely, but it is all in the name of learning... right?

(1) Anything with Rhubarb. If you are like me, you might have heard of rhubarb but never actually had it. You can't avoid it here. They have it in deserts and jams and everything that you wouldn't want a vegetable in.



(2) Pig obsession. I believe that the Brits have a pig obsession. Exhibit A (below) shows a whole row of "Percy the Pig" gummy candies. They advertise that they are made with pig gelatin (ew) and you can't get any other gummies except these pig ones. They also have a kid's TV show called Peppa the Pig. If they found out that the beef was filled with pig meat instead of horse meat - I don't think the whole "scandal" would have been a big deal.


(3) Gooseberry and Elderflower. I have seen both of these names places. I don't know what a gooseberry is or if I've ever had it. But I guess it is luxurious?


(4) Hot Cross Buns. THEY DO EXIST! And all these years I thought it was just a song we played on the recorder growing up. They actually have them here and they actually have a cross on them.


(5) Rocket. Or actually Arugula, for those of us speaking modern English. I can hardly go to a restaurant with out there being a Rocket option. "Rocket and cheese", "Rocket and olive oil", etc. I did not order it for awhile because who knew what rocket was!? Try googling rocket and you will find something more space related than food related.



Sigh. Sometimes I dream in Queso and Whataburger ketchup....

1 comment:

  1. I think Scott brought home shrimp flavored potato chips and also pickle flavored potato chips! Enjoying your blog...Debbie

    ReplyDelete