Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving of an expat

For all those people who have asked (including the hotel concierge), NO I am NOT going home for thanksgiving. It's simply a bad time to go on the project and it just didn't sound like the end of the world when I made the decision not to fly home for only 4 days with December around the corner.

And yes, I know that there are some restaurants that "serve thanksgiving food". But being away makes you realize it's not about the stuffed squash that Mrs. Katims makes. It's much more about the people you spend it with and the family traditions. You can "eat turkey and stuffing" on a random Tuesday in May if you want. I don't think expats miss the turkey as much as family and friends.

And then today, I had a new realization. I was walking to work and was thinking of the random items of clothing I need to get. Such as heels since this city (I'm convinced) actually eats them. And work pants/trousers (depending on what country you are from) since walking to work and riding the tube actually wears out your clothes more. And a new coat because turns out you can never have enough.

Then it hit me. Whoa. I am missing "the day after thanksgiving" shopping. Noooooo. Travesty. 

Turns out I will be missing my family, friends, and day after shopping. Sigh.



(Side note: seeing as I am a vegetarian, I'll actually be eating Turkish food on thanksgiving. I think that counts, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment