Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Run-ins with the British stiff upper lip

It is not a lie. The Londoners have a stiff upper lip. Perhaps it is just "being in a big city". (But isn't Dallas a big city?) Either way, after 10 months, I am still surprised from time to time of the lack of southern hospitality that I'm use to at home.

Let's recall a recent episode of a language barrier.... That was not a barrier but more of a passive aggressive fight.

I wanted to get my bangs trimmed. I called a place in central London, close to where I live. Also in the heart of TOURIST central.

Me: Hi, I was wondering if I could get my bangs cut.
Lady: Yes, you can get your FRINGE cut

(Now, I happen to know that the Brits call bangs "fringe", and I'm all about adapting to the culture... But lady, you work in central London on the most touristy tube station. What if I didn't know? Oh yea, and you are in the service industry)

Me: How much does it cost to get my BANGS cut?
Lady: We charge 5 pounds to get your FRINGE cut. 
Me: So if I want to get my BANGS cut, do I need an appointment? Or just walk in and ask for a trim for my BANGS?
Lady: Just call and say you want to get your FRINGE trimmed and we will make an appointment. 

Ahhhhh. I nearly hung up the phone and said "BANG you very much".


No comments:

Post a Comment