Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Be Safe"

I feel like everyone keeps telling me to "be safe". Before today I was not 100% sure what that meant (as if I wasn't going to "be safe" without that good advice?) - and yet, I feel like anyone I talk to from the states reminds me.

Does "be safe" mean that:

  • I should not walk around at night? (too bad it is dark by 4pm here. Or is it ever really "light"?)
  • Not flaunt my wallet to strangers? (clearly)
  • Use the handrails when I walk down stairs?
  • Stand only on the right hand side of the escalator? (Actually, that one is pretty legit here, Londoners will run you over!) 
  • Carry a gun? (I mean, nothing screams more Texan than that)
  • ..... you get the point


As of today I know what it means. Or what everyone SHOULD mean. "Be Safe" in London means don't get hit by a car. The saying "look both ways before you cross the street" has never meant more. Mostly because you have to look the opposite way that you are used to before you cross. Or sometimes the same way - depending on the one way street. And then the cars DO NOT STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS. I would swear they actually speed up to be honest. There is no just thing as the pedestrians having the right-of-way. (I heard that is not even the law here!). Let's just say that I hope I survive the streets of London. Literally.


Pending my survival of the streets: I am looking forward to my time here. First day of work was great - and the people are a pretty awesome and interesting group from all over. The EY office has some incredible views (not that we can see them from the conference room - isnt that always how it is?)


After work I wandered Piccadilly road (the street the hotel is on) and stumbled upon this really cute grocery store. It is very "London" to me. Or at least not very "Texas".
This does NOT look like the normal candy aisle that I am used to!

These are cute little glass tea pots that they sell lose tea in.

I just thought this was neat :)

Until tomorrow (or later this week - I promise I wont write EVERY day!), Be Safe!


1 comment:

  1. I love the lose tea! I wish they had something like that over here. Just coffee though.

    ReplyDelete