Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Joy is in the Journey

.... Yea right, whoever said that must have never tried to fly to London with way too much luggage and uncomfortable shoes.


Little Lessons Learned in the Journey:

(1) Visas are hard to come by - who knew this four letter word would be so much work! I would like to sum up the experience with this image: Missing the delivery man, chasing down every UPS truck to find the delivery guy that had my package. Literally getting his personal cellphone from one of his coworkers. (thank you Clay for driving).

(2) Always were your winter jacket on the plane - Yes, it was cold on the plane. And yes I had my jacket to cuddle up in. And yes, the guy next to me actually said he was jealous that I had a coat. (So glad to be a girl and not feel obligated to offer it to him!)

(3) Bring those little sanitation wipes for the tray table and seat etc - My mom was right. Thanks mom. I even gave them out to others. #MakingFriends

(4) Sperry's actually aren't comfortable until you break them in - I learned this the hard way dragging way too much luggage around the London airport (even if you take the train and a taxi... you will be walking!) At least I learned quickly where to get bandaids and antibotic cream!

(5) Not all cabs take credit card - oops. Thank you Sheraton for letting me borrow 10 pound (I don't yet know how to make that funny E sign for the pound on my computer... I also have really sucked at the conversion rate so I am not going to even try!)

(6) You can get a sim card CUT! That just blows my mind. If you unlock your phone before you leave, you can get a sim card when you get to London (or any other country I assume) and they can CUT the sim card to the right shape. This technology stuff is great.

(7) London has "smoking" rooms - Welcome to Europe. I guess I just didn't know you had to specify that. Good little thing to learn. I do see why you would want a smoking room if you were a smoker - it is definitely too cold to go outside :)

(8) I am going to need to learn to subtract by 12 - Most of the clocks are on 24 hour time (military time?). on top of that when trying to figure out what time it is in Texas it is a subtract by 12 then subtract by 6. (maybe I should learn to just add 6? Oh the math! too much for an accountant!)

Needless to say, I arrived in London. I am sitting on my bed in the hotel (pictured below) and drinking hot tea (it seemed right). I am excited/nervous for tomorrow's first day of work - but that is to be expected, right? (RIGHT!??!) I miss everyone all ready - but at least I will be way more interesting now!





1 comment:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!! I'm so excited to hear all about your journey. Just wait until you have to start decoding their language as well (yes, obviously it's English) but such different uses for the words: French fries = chips, Chips = crisps, Pants = trousers, Underwear = pants, and so on and so forth. And don't even get me started on the spelling differences. Haha. Take in every second of this experience, and most importantly, have fun!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete