Friday, April 19, 2013

Eggs with a Side of Ketchup

I happen to like my eggs with ketchup. (Also with salsa but the point is irrelevant for my story) Literally, scrambled eggs with ketchup is probably one of my favorite breakfast meals. I was craving it in London since I don't have a kitchen (and thus can't make it - you always want what you can't have, right?) and because scrambled eggs is not a big thing here. (Ill have to post a picture of a true English breakfast)

I gave in to my craving and purchased the "just add water" eggs that they serve at EY. Much to the disgust of my coworkers, I added ketchup. (Serious disgust... You would think I added chocolate syrup to my eggs)

This sparked a debate. While SOME Brits have ketchup with their eggs, hardly no European would consider it. They only even know the concept exists because of American movies. (But didn't think people actually did that!)

I am not a fan of falling into American stereotypes. And Americans eating ketchup is one I didn't know existed (and one I plan to continue to fall into). Americans are thought to not appreciate fine foods and "ruin" them with condiments.

All I have to say is that it is a good thing they didn't meet my roommate, Marybeth, in college. THAT is ketchup eating. But I guess we all know that avid ketchup eater huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment