Saturday, May 11, 2013

A seagull's paradise

Essaouira. The little sea town located two hours west of Marrakech (which I realize is a stupid comment since I literally had to have Nathan point out which country was Morocco on the Africa map WHILE on the trip, so why would I think you would know the actual location of Marrakech? ... And I know, lousy way to impress coworkers with my intelligence)

Essaouira is an old-style down with old-style fishing. You can see boats being pulled in by a group of 10 men, fish being divided up, sold, and cooked around the corner. Nathan walked through a dozen shops in a row that show you the catch of the day (most still alive) picked his fish, and had then grilled right there for lunch. Me as the vegetarian? Just tried to stomach it all (I did fine! Especially since I am overcoming a stomach bug.. Probably for drinking too much water? Or because I have a weak American stomach that needs to toughen up!)

The views are amazing, the simple way of life is humbling, and the beach? Well, I could listen to waves forever. In fact, I am as I write this now. I wish I could take more than pictures since it is impossible to capture the warmth from the sun ()3 brisk breeze, the crashing of the waves, and the white noise of French in the background. (Turns out people speak French in morocco... And I thought it was only in France! Again, my highschool Latin is really not helping me out much here. More so my charade skills - like pointing at the ocean to ask for water and acting out carbonation to explain that I don't want gas in my water.)














No comments:

Post a Comment