Monday, May 6, 2013

Whiplash Mallory - Fes 180

I named this one whiplash Mallory because that was the name Nathan called me when he explained that he literally felt like he had whiplash as I went from miserable in Fes (see previous post) to loving it.

The reason? Abdullah. He was our guide today and showed us his love for the city. (And opened my eyes to the real Islam - which is not what we think of when we hear of things like the Taliban and Al queda. This man was open and accepting and share his peaceful religion - the side that keeps the holy city of Fes at nearly a zero percent crime rate... Okay rant over)

Abdullah to Mallory "Malry" and Nathan "Malry's brother" through the maze of the old city "Medina" of Fes. He was quite possibly one of the nicest old men I have met. We saw the tanneries, elementary schools, markets, weaving areas, rug stores, pottery and mosaic factories, mosques, and even the Jewish section (on an 8 hour tour that cost USD 25. I gave him an extra 10 because I literally felt guilty.) such an amazing day. Abdullah, who used to teach international law at the university, shared stories from his life growing up in the inner walls of Fes and of the past and present of the unique city.

Do I love our hotel? No way. But did I have the most amazing day in a hidden treasure, kept from modern culture? Absolutely!

7 hour train ride to Marrakech tomorrow (that is... If we don't miss our stop this time!)




















No comments:

Post a Comment