Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Becoming a Hoodlum

...Okay, not really a hoodlum, but it is a much better title than "I wear coats with hoods".

Let me back up. I think that there are fashion "periods" in people's lives. (or maybe just mine?). There was the headband phase (Thank you gossip girl for making that one popular....ugh). The colored shorts phase (not practical in freezing london fog). The heel phase (Is that a phase really? but also no practical on the slick yet unstable cobblestone streets of London). The costume jewelry phase (which resulted in selling Stella and Dot and losing a ton of money...)

And now? The coats and scarves phase. I think, while only being here alittle over a month, I can classify this next year into this category.

Since January 22nd, I have more than trippled my scarf collected. (that was scary to realize I couldn't write "doubled".. this is a huge realization moment for me) But what can I say? Scarves are so practical! I can wear them to work to "dress up" an outfit (or at least I pretend they do), I can wear them casually on the weekends to "complete and outfit", but more importantly, they keep me warm and provide an "old-lady-looking" head covering when its raining. PLUS they are only a pound or two at all of my favorite markets. ("favorite" markets = every market I have been to in London... and there are oh, so many.)

And Coats? well. I went if I couldn't convince you that a trip to London is a good idea for your future, the Spitalfields Market will easily do this. (you have been warned, so click at your own risk) Spitalfields Market This weekend there was a lady selling coats for THIRTY pounds. (that's $45ish dollars). You can hardly go to dinner and drinks for that amount. They are handmade coats. I fell in love with nearly all of them --- but a new factor came into the picture. HOODS! I wont buy a coat in this country without a hood attached. Who knew? I never had a coat with a hood before I believe - and now? it is a priority.

This picture is not me, and I do not look that glamorous going to work. I thought of taking a picture in my hood this morning, but due to the fact that I was in the dressingroom of the gym I decided that it would be an invasion of privacy if any of the halfnaked ladies appeared in the background of my picture. In Short: Actual picture to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment