Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Leeds Castle - Not in Leeds


This weekend I took a day trip with Ali and Sarah to Leeds Castle, Canterbury (and Canterbury Cathedral), and the White Cliffs of Dover. Every English person that I shared this with found it strange to go to Leeds Castle and Canterbury in the same day (Canterbury is far south east and Leeds is northwest... both bus rides). Turns out that Leeds Castle is not in Leeds. it is in Kent. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be called Kent Castle.... but the point is irrelevant.

What is Leeds Castle? I would tell you the random dates and definitions that I remember from the signs... OR I could give you an online definition so that you sound educated... AND so you can decide if you want to visit the castle when you come to visit:

Actual version:
"Leeds Castle is a castle in KentEngland, situated 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Maidstone. A castle has been situated on the site since 1119. In the 13th century it came into the hands of King Edward I, for whom it became a favourite residence, while in the 16th century, Henry VIIIused it as a residence for his first wife, Catherine of Aragon. The castle seen today dates mostly from the 19th century and is built on islands in a lake formed by the River Len to the east of the village of Leeds. It has been opened to the public since 1976." - Wikipedia

My version:
"Leeds Castle is awesome/brilliant (Brits don't say "awesome" by the way) because it is a mix of both "old" and "new". There are parts of the Castle that are modeled to look the way they did when Catherine stayed there. There are also parts from when Lady Baillie stayed there. Which wasn't quite in my lifetime... but close enough. The bathroom is modern, her closet is emasculate, and it makes it very easy to picture myself living in this castle. I think I would be well suited for one. Maybe I should look into the realestate market in Dallas? Either way, the snow on the ground and the ducks in the pond were the perfect backdrop for a castle." - Mallory


















No comments:

Post a Comment