Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Underground Underworld

I am a huge fan of public transit. Anyone who has asked me about London has heard me say something positive about my love of the "tube". Everytime a Londoner hears this I get a polite nod or a "just wait" or "well you haven't seen a tube strike yet" or something along those lines. I had chalked it up to the "well, Brits complain about everything" stereotype.

Nope. Ill give the Brits some credit. (Who knew they would know their own city better than someone who has been there three weeks?!? Go figure) Today, was a cold and rainy and windy day. (Scratch that, it's always cold and rainy and windy so that statement is a moot point) I took the Picadilly Line to Covent Garden. Just a few short hours when I was walking back to the same tube station I had JUST been on (tube is British for "subway), the gates were closed and we were being informed that the line was going to be unexpectedly down. For. The. Rest. Of. The. Day.

A mile walk in the cold, rainy, windy weather to the next tube station and k finally understood the Londoners all-knowing response to my love-affair declaration to the tube.

1 comment:

  1. I am actually super excited about experiencing the Tube in London! (Public transport in NZ is pathetic) We'll be there for a few days in June and another couple in September to start and end the European leg of our world trip.

    ReplyDelete